It’s been a relatively quiet Sunday out on the trail. The next riders due in at Diemersfontein will only arrive tomorrow so today was a bit of a rest day for the race office – for a change.
But the riders haven’t been slacking off, they’ve been making their way steadily towards the finish:
- Still soldiering on at the back of the field is Stephen Kellerman. He left Hofmeyr this morning, scuttled across the Elandsberg portage without any trouble, had breakfast at Elandsberg farm and then pushed on to Stuttgart. He arrived there late in the afternoon but decided not to tempt fate on the Skurfteberg portage in the dark and stayed put.
- Roman and Katarina had another steady day and got to Toekomst in the afternoon. They are enjoying the comforts of the new lodge and once again they have the company of Dino there – he arrived before them and stopped to do his laundry. Tomorrow they’ll all be heading for Bucklands.
- Travis and Burton left Bucklands this morning (together with the ‘Wyn Trein’) They made steady progress along this tough stage and will sleep in Cambria tonight.
- Gawie, Casper, Charl and Shaun (Die Wyn Trein) moved along from Bucklands to Cambria today and arrived there late afternoon. Gawie seems to have sorted out his skewer issues. Maybe tomorrow he’ll finally put the hammer down and get that singlespeed moving!
- Andre and Jody left Cambria in the early hours of this morning and got to Dam se Drif for brunch – they then proceeded to eat a hole in Hestelle’s food supplies, having last night’s supper, dessert, breakfast, coffee and cake before having a nap on the lawn in the sun to recover. They went on to Willowmore, arriving just after 17h00. Where they’ve stopped for more food!
- Tim and Hugh left Dam se Drif this morning with Tim making it comfortably to Willowmore after lunch. Hugh was struggling with a niggling injury as well as some stomach issues and stopped after 35km. He got a lift to Willowmore to get treatment and may take a rest day there before re-joining the race.
- Peter and Johan cruised through to Prince Albert today and arrived well before dark. Johann Rissik sorted out their bottom bracket issues and Ria fed them fat in preparation for the Swartberg Pass tomorrow.
- The sensible group of five, Rory, Rich, Allen, Chris and Dawn, all left Prince Albert early this morning with a double through to Rouxpos as their goal. Allen and Rich got there at 18h00, the others weren’t far behind.
- Brian and Mike, who spent the night at Rouxpos, left after a leisurely breakfast, passed through Anysberg without incident and pressed on to Montagu. Mike passed through after a quick snack and went on to McGregor. Brian will stay in Montagu.
- Tweet, Trevor and Theo got to Anysberg at midnight and left early this morning. They lunched early in Montagu, got to Kasra before dark. They are currently on their way to Trouthaven and will head off up Stettyn’s Kloof in the morning.
Diemersfontein was treated to a bit of sunshine today, so hopefully the gap in the weather will spur some riders on to get home a bit sooner – it’s so much nicer to finish in good weather.